Monday 19 November 2007

Baring My Arse

Joe tagged me with an earliest memory meme. I have to…

* Describe my earliest memory where the memory is clear, and where "clear" means I can depict at least three details.
* Give an estimate of my age at the time.
* Tag five other bloggers with this meme.

Well... this has been very difficult for me as I have very little recall of any events of my childhood. I am guessing it is due to a brain malfunction that created dyslexia which still persists and years of migraine in some form or another. (I’ve never told this to anyone but my current wife so lap it up :)

My earliest clear memory was bed time in my parent’s house. I was sitting on my bed taking my socks off and I got a weird sensation (similar to descriptions of stroke as I think about it) and then my central focus of vision went black and two white squares appeared with numbers and letters scrolling through a sequence. It scared the shit out of me and went on for about 5 minutes or so. I remember trying to stand up or shout but couldn’t.

This is my first memory before I started school at 5 so I’m guessing it was around 4.

All the next memories are of being bullied at school and being treated as a slow learner by teachers and friends as I had trouble reading and writing and had a terrible speech impediment. (Plus I was short, fat, freckled and red haired.. your classic freak!)
I'd be out there counting shit (tiles, paving stones, scratches on my desk) all the time and not talking to anyone. I remember spazzo got said a lot.

The visual effect continued for many years at different times and I got used to it. Looking back it reminds me of watching hexadecimal values displayed by the test program of equipment I’m repairing.

Recently I’ve been getting another visual effect described as ophthalmic migraine. It’s fun without drugs :)

I’m almost normal now… whatever that means.

I have no idea who to tag as every blogger I know has already been tagged except for…

OzAtheist and Johnny (Fiery can you organize that?)

Arse sufficiently bared, time for a drink.

6 gems of wisdom:

Fiery said...

Awww big brother your bared arse was sweet. *snerk*

As to Johnny, I'm on him.... by that of course I mean that now that he has been double tagged maybe he'll play the game.

That visual thing is wild, I've never heard of anything like that. Poodles gets migraines, I think, she might be familiar with it. I consider myself one of the very fortunate in that I don't suffer from headaches.

I recall maybe 3 in my entire life, YAY FIERY'S NOODLE!!!!! Migraine sufferers have my sincerest sympathy, I've seen how much they suffer. YIKES! It's no wonder the medievals invented trepanning.

T T Eyes said...

Good one Protium, very cathartic I'm sure to bare ones arse like that to such a nice bunch of people here:-D

Seeing as how you are now such an intelligent person with amazing skills, I can only say that whatever happened didnt stop your fantastic brain from developing to its full potential!!

I've never suffered from any sort of headaches either, but have been around a couple of friends who would be totally wiped out in a darkened room vomiting for days!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Protium, but I'd already been hit by The Thinkers Podium. I've finally posted my earliest memory. Seems like I ran out of all the usual suspects to meme, so I just pulled out the big guns, interested to see if any reply.

Protium the Heathen said...

Fiery: It was a scarey thing back then... but I'm OK now...but I'm OK now...but I'm OK now... but...

TTEyes:Oh I know well the staying in a darkened room for a few days vomiting... Grew out of it in late teens.

OzAtheist: Buggar... I got no one. I liked your post :)

SouthLoopScot said...

Thanks for sharing that. I to was bullied.

Joe said...

Count me in on the migraine suffering, speech impediment having(mine's a stutter which I still have, it sucks big time) and I too was bullied when I was growing up. My next older brother was the predator and I was the prey. I wrote a rather lenghty post about it and felt better about it after I posted it.